At age 84, Yvonne is teaching ice skating AND ice skating for the sheer joy of it! Yvonne learned to ice skate at age 13 with her family as a “fun family time”. However, Yvonne says it was her involvement in Ice Capades where she REALLY learned to skate!
Yvonne started coming to the Apex Center when it opened in 2000. However, she began her association with Apex Park and Recreation District nearly 40 years ago at the “old North Jeffco” ice arena at 58th Ave. and Ralston Rd.
- Yvonne trained with Ice Capades from 1946-1953.
- Performing in Ice Capades in Dallas, TX was a highlight of her career.
- As a “down to earth” person, Yvonne enjoys gardening, cutting the lawn, shoveling snow…as well as knitting and sewing.
- Yvonne enjoys teaching adults and children at the Apex ice arena, at the Promenade in Westminster and ice skating for pleasure.
- Yvonne also enjoys snow skiing, water skiing and ballet.
Yvonne’s workout routine includes warming up by doing skate dances around the ice arena. She enjoys the challenge of twirling in a small area.
Injuries to her left ankle and her brain in an auto accident a couple of years ago have somewhat altered her “routine”. Jumping is now a problem area for Yvonne.
Instructor advice from Yvonne: “The quality of teaching includes being open about problems, physical limitations and other special needs of students. The joy of teaching is having people enjoy and love what they do.”
Post expires on December 2, 2016
Contact Apex Park and Recreation District in Arvada, CO
Apex Park and Recreation District (Apex PRD) in Arvada, CO, has a wide range of public parks and recreation facilities that offer such activities as pickleball, tennis, golf, swimming, and much more. Founded in 1956, Apex PRD supports adult fitness and kids health for those in Arvada, Denver, Wheat Ridge, Golden, and beyond. Have questions or comments for Apex Park and Recreation District? Use our Contact Us page.