Posted on July 24th, 2012 *Post last modified on November 2nd, 2012
Choosing a fitness class for you: If in doubt, please ask staff for help – and check with your doctor before starting a new fitness activity. No matter which classes you decide to take, it is important that you do any exercise at your own pace.
- Level 1 – All exercises are done seated or supported by a chair. Class is very gentle and slow.
- Level 2 – Most of the exercises are done standing but chairs are available to sit in if needed. Some exercise is done on the floor on exercise mats. Appropriate for beginners with minimal or no physical limitations.
- Level 3 – Longer duration and higher intensity cardiovascular segment with more advanced strength work. Some exercise experience is recommended.
Community Recreation Center is proud to host the SilverSneakers Fitness Program! SilverSneakers members can attend daytime drop-in fitness and line-dance classes. All SilverSneakers classes welcome non-SilverSneakers participants too! All SilverSneakers participants must complete a participant packet before beginning classes. Stop at the front desk for requirements and to enroll. Please remember to swipe your card every time you participate in any activity. This includes drop-in lobby activities.
Drop in to most Community Center line dance or fitness classes for $3.50 (non-res. $4.50).
10 Visits: Res. $29 (non-res. $35)
25 Visits: Res. $63 (non-res. $76)
Exercard Eligible Classes
- Cardio Circuit (SilverSneakers® II): A predominantly standing workout designed to increase cardiovascular and muscular fitness. Upper body strength work using hand-held weights, elastic tubing with handles and a ball is alternated with non-impact aerobic choreography. A chair is offered for support, stretching, and relaxation exercises.
- Cardio Fit (SilverSneakers®): For the active adult seeking a safe, effective low impact cardiovascular workout. Hand-held weights and elastic tubing are used for resistance training and a chair is offered for stability and/or support for upper body strength exercises and abdominal conditioning.
- Combo Light (level 2): 20-30 minutes of easy-does-it low impact aerobic dance, followed by a gentle and basic full-body toning and strengthening, ending with a long stretch.
- Men’s Fitness (Level 2-3): A friendly and interactive class just for the guys. Easy to follow aerobic movment is followed by strength work using weights and exercise tubing. Class gears down with gentle stretching and relaxation.
- M.S.R.O.M. (SilverSneakers® I): A full-body workout using a chair for seated and standing support. Muscular strength and range of movement conditioning is done at a very beginning level. A variety of strength and balance exercises are done using body weight, hand held weights and balls, and elastic tubing with handles.
- Arthritis Foundation Exercise Program® (AFEP) (Level 1): This class is done entirely in chairs with emphasis on increasing pain-free range of motion and overall strength and flexibility. Format designed and recommended by the National Arthritis Foundation.
- Seniorcise (Level 3): 30-35+ minutes of easy-to-follow, high energy low impact aerobic dance. Designed to improve cardiovascular fitness combined with strength, balance, toning and flexibility exercises for total body fitness.
- SilverSneakers® Yoga Stretch: This class challenges you with a variety of simple and safe yoga exercises you do at your own pace. Using a chair for support, you’ll increase flexibility, build endurance and learn how to relax and think more clearly.
- Therapeutic T’ai Chi: T’ai Chi is one of the most effective exercises for the health of mind and body; it consists of slow continuous whole-body movements, strung together in a form. This class focuses on weight transference, which improves balance and prevents falls, it also helps to relieve pain and reduce stress. This class is designed for the older adult and those with chronic conditions and can be modified to use a chair.
- Wake up and Work out: A more intense workout with 30-35 minutes of continuous low-impact aerobics followed by conditioning work with hand-held weights and exercise bands. Class ends with a full-body stretch.
- Zumba Chair: This class uses the same Latin music, like salsa, merengue, cumbia and reggaeton; with exhilarating, easy-to-follow moves; and the invigorating, party-like atmosphere as the Zumba Fitness, but is modified for the beginner and those just starting to exercise. This class is performed from
|8:30-9:30 am||Wake up Workout||Seniorcise||Wake up Workout||Seniorcise||Wake up Workout|
|9-10 am||SS Yoga Stretch|
|9:30-10:30 am||Therapeutic Tai Chi||Therapeutic Tai Chi|
|9:35-10:30 am||SilverSneakers® Cardio Circuit||Combo Light||TBD||SilverSneakers® Cardio Circuit||SilverSneakers® Cardio Circuit|
|10-11 am||SS Yoga Stretch|
|10:35-11:30 am||Men’s Fitness||Men’s Fitness|
|10:45-11:40 am||SilverSneakers® MSROM|
|11:45 am-12:45 pm||SS Yoga Stretch|
|11:45 am-12:40 pm||SilverSneakers® MSROM||Zumba Chair|
|12:45-1:45 pm||SS Yoga Stretch|