Title of Position: Finance Manager
Position: Full-Time with benefits
Reports To: Executive Director
Salary Range: $75,000-$95,000 Annually
Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Apex Park and Recreation District has a challenging and rewarding opportunity for an individual interested in making a difference and being part of a vibrant and growing community. The Finance Manager is an integral position on the Apex leadership team. This position has primary authority and responsibility in the areas of accounting, finance, budget, and risk management.
The position includes frequent interaction with the Board of Directors and Apex’s Executive Team who has a rich history of sound fiscal practices leading to the long-term sustainability of the District.
Apex Park and Recreation District is a special district founded in 1956 and not part of the City of Arvada or Jefferson County. It is a separate agency with its own taxing authority and with no connection to any other government agency. Special districts are created by state law to serve specific community needs such as recreation, fire protection, water, etc. Apex PRD is in the next phase of its growth, adding six new/updated recreation facilities to the current 15 facility portfolio in the next 12 months, thanks to the successful bond election in May of 2016. This position provides significant support for the debt management, fiscal planning and accounting function of the bond projects. The position is located at the award-winning Apex Center, a 160,000-sq. ft. recreation facility at 72nd and Ward Road.
Apex PRD is managed by an Executive Director and a five-member elected board of directors. Directors serve four-year terms with elections held every two years in May. Approximately 45% of the district’s budget comes from property taxes. Fifty-five per cent comes from program and facility fees, grants, and proceeds from Apex Park and Recreation District Foundation fundraising efforts.
Apex PRD and the City of Arvada share resources and define responsibilities to save taxpayers money. In general, Apex PRD handles “active” recreation such as youth and adult sports, fitness, swimming, golf, ice skating, etc., while the City of Arvada handles “passive” recreation such as parks and trails.
Apex Full-time employees enjoy a rich benefit package including health, dental, vision and life insurance; retirement contributions; training and tuition reimbursement; and fitness opportunities within Apex facilities.
Apex’s Finance must not only be skilled in finance, accounting, budget, and long-term fiscal planning, but must also demonstrate excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills. The successful candidate will have the ability to, and be comfortable in, presenting detailed and complex information to diverse audiences in an understandable and concise manner. The manager will be collaborative in her/his approach with others across the organization and committed to excellent fiscal health and positive human capital programs in the organization.
1. College degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Accounting, or a closely related field.
2. Minimum of eight year’s experience in public finance and/or accounting with at least three years in a leadership or supervisory capacity.
3. Must possess an exceptional working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP basis accounting and budget based accounting).
4. Exceptional technical skills in the area where payroll and human resources intersect with the finance functions of an organization.
5. Solid organizational, managerial, and communication skills.
6. Excellent analytical and math skills.
7. Knowledge of public fund accounting for quasi-municipal corporations.
8. Risk Management experience.
9. Knowledge of public financing alternatives, including general obligation bonds and revenue bonds.
10. Debt administration experience including arbitrage compliance.
11. Knowledge of Human Resource practices
12. Project construction with multiple funding sources helpful.
13. Knowledge of contracts and torts helpful.
Additional information on the Apex Park and Recreation District may be obtained by visiting apexprd.org
Contact Apex Park and Recreation District in Arvada, CO
Apex Park and Recreation District (Apex PRD) in Arvada, CO, has a wide range of public parks and recreation facilities that offer such activities as pickleball, tennis, golf, swimming, and much more. Founded in 1956, Apex PRD supports adult fitness and kids health for those in Arvada, Denver, Wheat Ridge, Golden, and beyond. Have questions or comments for Apex Park and Recreation District? Use our Contact Us page.