November 4, 2010 Board of Director Meeting Minutes

Board of Directors Wide

NOVEMBER 4, 2010

President Jim Whitfield called the November 4, 2010 meeting of the Board of Directors of Apex Park and Recreation District to order at 6:30 p.m. at the Apex Center, 13150 W. 72nd Avenue, Arvada, Colorado. Apex board members in attendance were: Jim Whitfield, Lee Humrich, Jeff Glenn, and Bob Loveridge. Ken Harrell was absent. Apex participating staff members were Mike Miles, Executive Director, and Luann Levine, Recording Secretary.


MOTION: Director Glenn moved for the absence of Director Harrell to be excused due to advance notice to the board. Director Humrich seconded. Motion passed unanimously.


MOTION: Director Glenn moved for the approval of the Agenda as posted. Director Humrich seconded. Motion passed unanimously.

MOTION: Director Humrich moved for approval of the Minutes of October 7, 2010, as presented. Director Glenn seconded. Motion passed unanimously.

PUBLIC INPUT – There was no public input


1. Eagle Scout Presentation – Paul Elms
Marshall Masek, Director of District Services, addressed the board and stated that this is the 100th year of BSA and the District has had 43 scouts come before the board since 2001. Mr. Masek then introduced Scout Paul Elms. Scout Elms stated that he started scouting when he was 6 years old. He then presented a power point presentation of his Eagle Scout Project to the board, which consisted of power washing and sealing the fence at the Racquetball and Fitness Center, removing a juniper and cleaning up the planter around the entrance sign, planting two trees in the landscape area, cleaning and polishing 16 lamps on the deck, and sanding and painting the handrails going up the stairs to the front entrance of the Racquetball and Fitness Center. Scout Elms reported that he had 30 people assisting him with his project for a total of 136 hours of labor. In response to questions from the board Scout Elms stated his biggest challenge was going to businesses and asking for supplies and donations. President Whitfield and the board expressed their appreciation and commended Scout Elms for his hard work and contribution to the District and community.

2. Eagle Scout Presentation – Aaron Harvey
Mr. Masek introduced Scout Aaron Harvey. Scout Harvey presented his Eagle Scout Project to the board, which consisted of planting three trees at the Secrest Youth Center and Park near a future picnic table site. Scout Harvey stated that he had the assistance of 25 volunteers to help plant three honey locust trees and a white fir tree for a total of 120 volunteer hours. Scout Harvey stated that he held a garage sale and raised $500 and also received $120 in donations. The project entailed one work day which included digging holes in the morning and planting the trees in the afternoon. The trees were staked and the trunks were wrapped. In response to questions from the board Scout Harvey stated the garage sale was advertised in the newspaper and on craigslist and his biggest challenge was finding the trees because not many nurseries had 2 inch trees in stock. President Whitfield and the board expressed their appreciation and commended Scout Harvey for his hard work and contribution to the District and community.

3. Eagle Scout Presentation – Josh Snyder
Mr. Masek introduced Scout Josh Snyder. Scout Snyder 16 presented his Eagle Scout Project to the board, which consisted of installing two kiosks at the Stenger Sports Complex. His project took 5 days with the help of 29 volunteers and a total of 176 volunteer hours. Scout Snyder stated that there were5 phases to the project which included building the kiosks, cementing the kiosks into the ground, putting the roofs on the kiosks and staining them, adding fiberboard to the sides so information can be put on the kiosks. The fiberboard sides were built to be easily replaced. Scout Snyder thanked his neighbor for his help and the donations from his company. He received about $500 in donations from businesses but needed more so he held a fundraiser at Coldstone to raise the remainder of the money needed. In response to questions from the board Scout Snyder stated that he used redwood in the construction of the kiosks and his biggest challenge was the little difficulties in the project phases and coming up with solutions. President Whitfield and the board expressed their appreciation and commended Scout Snyder for his hard work and contribution to the District and community.

4. Introduction of Lance Jaeger, Ice Coordinator
Terry Goldwater, Apex Center Manager, introduced Lance Jaeger who was recently hired as Ice Coordinator at the Apex Center. Ms. Goldwater stated that Lance has been working part-time for the District for about 7 years. She added that Lance’s main responsibilities will be hockey programs, primarily adult hockey and will have a significant role in the ice area and with the management team. Mr. Jaeger addressed the board and thanked Mike, Terry and Bob for this opportunity. Mr. Jaeger then spoke about his background, school and career experiences. Mr. Jaeger stated that his priorities have been setting up the adult hockey program and working with the Learn to Play Hockey program which has doubled the number of participants in the last several sessions. Mr. Jaeger addressed his goals for the middle school hockey league in the spring and the emphasis on surveys and customer feedback to customize our adult hockey leagues. Board discussion ensued concerning needs for the hockey leagues, used equipment and summer high school leagues. The board welcomed Mr. Jaeger to the District.

5. Survey Report
Faith Gregor, Marketing Director, stated that the branding initiative is an ongoing process and will be stepped up in 2011. Some of the points are to keep it simple and do what we do best and make branding consistent and as District wide as possible. Ms. Gregor stated that a customer and employee survey was taken to give us a scope and potential direction. Results of the customer survey showed that 4 times out of 5 we are doing a great job. Location and schedule issues were probably the most important to customers. 51% off all respondents use the Apex center. Respondents were over 30 and the zip code breakdown was from all over. Ms. Gregor added that the staff survey mirrored the customer survey. Staff comments were that we have a very high regard for our customer’s experience and there is a lot of pride in all staff and managers. The survey results showed that we are going in the right direction. Ms. Gregor then noted that the branding initiative will be enhanced by a consistent graphic approach in all facilities; continue to use the Get Active Stay Active logo, consistency with uniforms and Apex logos. Board discussion ensued concerning the Apex name, results of the survey and the Fish program.

6. Golf Operations Report
Mike Miles, Executive Director, introduced Alan Abrams, Golf Course Operations Manager. Mr. Abrams presented a Power Point presentation to the board on Indian Tree Golf Operations and history and trends in golf. The golf industry has shown a decline as a whole. The District has managed to keep the daily round fees affordable and we are in the lower third of fees but we have to get expenses and revenues more in balance. With the recent economy decline our income is going down so our challenge is how to address the revenue/expense of golf. Mr. Abrams explained that rack rate is the highest rate that you charge. Indian Tree’s rack rate is $29. The trend of rounds at Indian Tree started in 1970 with 34,000 and peaked in the 80s at 76,000. Presently we are at 37,000 rounds. Nationally, the trend is that golf rounds are dropping. At Indian Tree, rounds are dropping. The economy has hit Indian Tree. Bad weather and economy combined will cause a decrease in income. Mr. Abrams addressed history of rounds of golf played, number of rounds, historically, locally and nationally, effects of weather on number of rounds played, Indian Tree rounds played since 1993, round trends, income trends, fee averages and variance trends. Loss of green fee income has been covered by range, golf carts, and rental and merchandise income. Our local core and avid players should have availability for discounted green fees, but should pay a fair fee for prime time hours. We need about 60-70 rack rate players per playable day to subsidize the core and avid golfer’s rates. Core and avid groups have 1st priority on tee time reservations causing loss of rack rate reservations. Mr. Abrams stated that staff recommendation for green fees for 2011 is a $2-4 increase. Mr. Abrams then addressed the Club House Restaurant which has been maintained because it is a good amenity to the golf course but has never generated revenue. Mr. Abrams added that decisions may need to be made concerning the restaurant to cut expenses. Mr. Abrams noted that the district has been supporting the golf course for about 15 years and what we are looking at is charging the fees that will allow the golf course to break even. Board discussion ensued concerning the junior market, gold crown programs and increased fees.
BREAK – At 8:26 p.m., President Whitfield called for a 5-minute break.
The meeting resumed at 8:33.

7. 2011 Budget Information
Mr. Miles stated that based on the outcome of the election we can move forward with our initial budget for 2011. We will continue to do innovative things to keep operating in the black and the solar thermal project will help with expenses in 2011. The budget that the board was presented with will be the one presented at the public hearing for input on November 18, 2010.

8. Turf Field House Update

Mr. Miles stated that we just received a new set of perspectives and conceptual drawings for the Field House. We are at the end of the design development stage but working with the water issues have put us about 30 days behind. Mr. Miles stated that the District will split the cost of running the water line with the City and the water line and fire hydrants must be in place before vertical construction can begin. Mr. Miles noted that the water project will probably be completed by the first of February. Saunders Construction stated construction of the Field House will take about 8 months so that may put us around August for completion. Mr. Miles then added that energy related issues have been reviewed; solar thermal panels will be used for heating the admin along with an ice melting system in the sidewalks. Mr. Miles noted that all financial settlements have been completed, the Saunders contract has been signed and we will have a GMP by the middle of December.

9. 82nd and Simms Facility Update
Mr. Miles stated that a number of issues are being addressed concerning the facility at 82nd and Simms and it’s becoming a complicated process. The plan is to move cheerleading, dance, gymnastics and pottery to this site. The building will require some renovations but the money that is escrowed may not be enough to complete the remodel. Mr. Miles added that the church may be interested in a 3 year lease for the East side of the facility and is looking at remodeling about 12,000 sq. ft. on the East side. The church has a couple of professional construction companies in their congregation and will handle the remodel for the leased portion. The church has until January 30 to move out or lease the East side of the facility. Mr. Miles stated that the property must be annexed in to the City to access the City sewer line and the annexation process has been initiated. Mr. Miles added that Barker Rinker Seacat is working on a design development for our improvements and we will take that to the City Code Department for approval as soon as the property is annexed. Mr. Miles then stated that on the site there are turn lanes that require property dedication so we have to negotiate with Open Space so we can dedicate those portions of the property for turn lanes. Discussion ensued concerning the layout and renovations of the building.


December 2 – Annual breakfast with the Foundation – 7:30 at Indian Tree


Director Humrich reported that the Apex Foundation is working hard on their Silent Auction and are hoping to raise lots of money.

MOTION: Director Humrich moved that the meeting be adjourned. Director Glenn seconded. Motion passed unanimously.

President Whitfield adjourned the meeting at 9:04 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Luann Levine, Recording Secretary

Ken Harrell, Secretary/Treasurer