March 3, 2011 Board of Director Meeting Minutes

Board of Directors Wide


MARCH 3, 2011


President Jim Whitfield called the March 3, 2011 meeting of the Board of Directors of Apex Park and Recreation District to order at 6:30 p.m. at the Apex Center, 13150 W. 72nd Avenue, Arvada, Colorado. Apex board members in attendance were: Jim Whitfield, Lee Humrich, Jeff Glenn, Bob Loveridge and Ken Harrell. Apex participating staff members were Mike Miles, Executive Director, and Luann Levine, Recording Secretary.


MOTION: Director Harrell moved for the approval of the Agenda as posted. Director Glenn seconded. Motion passed unanimously.


MOTION: Director Glenn moved for approval of the Minutes of February 3, 2011, as presented. Director Harrell seconded. Motion passed unanimously.

PUBLIC INPUT – There was no public input


1. Social Media Update

Mr. Miles stated introduced Rob Anna, Marketing Director to explain how different social media networks are being utilized. Mr. Anna stated that the District has both Twitter and Facebook accounts now. These accounts are fed off of the Apex website. When a page is added on our website it will automatically post a summary to Facebook and a link to Twitter. The District has 23 Twitter followers after only a week and 290 Facebook fans. Mr. Anna added that we are getting more involved and posting specials that are only available to Twitter or Facebook users. Indian Tree has separate Facebook and Twitter pages and they will become more active once they get into the season. They will be able to notify golfers on Twitter and Facebook about weather delays or available tee times instantly. Indian tree is also hoping to connect with youth golfers through these social networks. In response to questions from the board Mr. Anna stated that there are Facebook and Twitter icons in several places on the Apex website and on each post so people can share information or link to the pages. He added that there is some information on Facebook and Twitter that is not on the Apex website such as special discounts and promotions. Discussion ensued concerning individual emails to remind people to register for classes and programs. Mr. Miles stated that he would talk to the division managers to see what that would involve.

2. Apex Brochure Registration Change

Mr. Miles stated that the district has moved from mailing 3 brochures a year to District residents to 2 brochures, a spring/summer and a fall/winter, a year for a cost savings of about $30,000. Mr. Anna stated that this is beneficial for those people that want information on summer programs earlier for planning purposes. Mr. Anna then added that we are also doing away with class/program registration dates in most cases because the majority of our classes do not fill up right away. Registration will begin as soon as they receive the brochure. Also, as soon as one activity ends we can start registering for the next activity. Mr. Anna noted that swim lessons would be the exception because they fill up the first day so there will be registration dates in those situations. Board discussion ensued concerning which households receive the brochure and if people have the option of opting out of receiving the brochure. Mr. Anna stated that because it is a saturation mailing which means it is mailed to zip codes and not to household addresses the opt out option is not available. Mr. Miles stated that Marketing staff has done an excellent job of researching the registration process and the mailing process to be very cost effective.

3. Project Updates

Mr. Miles stated that the east side, phase 1, remodel of Simms Street has been completed and the church’s redesign will fit our future needs. The demolition on the west side has begun. We have submitted the reconstruction drawings to the County today. Mr. Miles noted that the County has done a great job for the District and has been very easy to work with. The District Services division will do a lot of the internal work. The issue at that site is the drainage problems which is slowing us up so the move in date may be closer to August which is about 45-60 days behind schedule.

Field House – Mr. Miles stated that the bids for dirt moving came in yesterday; we should have results soon and may be moving dirt in about 10 days. Construction trailers will be moving in shortly also. The design plans for the Field House have been submitted and should be back next week with comments. There may be some discussion next week with the city concerning the roof line of the facility.

4. Open Space Advisory Committee Proposal

Mr. Miles reported that Jefferson County Open Space is going to make a recommendation to the County Commissioners on a 10-year funding plan. Basically, funding will be significantly less, the matches will be different and there is an effort to equalize what Districts and Cities receive. The Cities have always received an attributable share of the JCOS sales tax which under state law, park and recreation districts do not have sales tax authority so we do not receive attributable shares. The Open Space Advisory Committee will approve a draft proposal tonight which will then be presented to Cities and Districts for their input before the final recommendation to the Board of County Commissioners. This will change the funding for the next 10 years and could potentially impact the District. Mr. Miles also noted that Great Outdoors Colorado has cancelled their $500,000 grants for this year and are only awarding a maximum of $200,000 grants. Board discussion ensued.


a) Summertree Lane – Last summer it was brought to our attention by a resident of Summertree Lane that there were dead trees on the trails that the District owns. We had the trees looked at and found that they were not dead so we had them trimmed and cleaned up. Another complaint has recently been made with the County that 44 trees need to be replaced. In 1995 Jefferson County deeded 3 parcels to the District. Two parcels are trails adjacent to a street and the third is an equestrian trail. It is not clear why these parcels were deeded to the district. Mike will meet with Tom Hoby to discuss this issue.

b) Splash Pad – The City’s Park Architect is meeting with the splash deck people tomorrow to talk about design elements of the splash pad at North Jeffco Park. Discussion ensued concerning the timeline of the construction of the park.

c) Apex Foundation – The Foundation’s Silent Auction event netted about $5,890. In reviewing the event it was noted that 95% of the auction items were bought by staff, board members and Foundation members and the $5 entrance fee was not received well by the public. The Foundation is considering hosting a dog walk to coincide with the dog swim. They will work the dog swim this year to see how this might fit for 2012.

d) Leadership Arvada has chosen the Community Recreation Center for their project this year.

e) Rachel Van Winkle has recruited a sponsorship from Saunders Construction for $17,000.


Director Humrich reported that he attended the Wadsworth Improvement public meeting which had about 75-80 people in attendance. The project seems to be more inclusive involving shopping centers. They are gathering data and public input right now. There is a second meeting scheduled in a couple weeks. They have hired a group of students from CU to compile the data.

President Whitfield reported that there is a Coordinating Committee meeting scheduled for next week.


MOTION: Director Harrell moved that the meeting be adjourned. Director Loveridge seconded. Motion passed unanimously.

President Whitfield adjourned the meeting at 7:40 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Luann Levine, Recording Secretary


Ken Harrell, Secretary/Treasurer