December 7, 2017 Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
December 7, 2017
CALL TO ORDER President Whitfield called to order the December 7, 2017 meeting of the Board of Directors of Apex Park and Recreation District, held at 6:30 p.m. at the Indian Tree Club House, 7555 Wadsworth Blvd., Arvada, Colorado. Board members in attendance were: Jim Whitfield, Jeff Glenn, Kristen Larington, Tommy Skul, and Vicki Pyne. District staff members present were: Lauri Dannemiller – Executive Director; JoAnn Gould – Deputy Director; Jim Reasor – Finance and HR Director; and Dawn Fredette – Executive Assistant and Recording Secretary.
APPROVAL OF AGENDA AND ADDITION OF AGENDA ITEMS
MOTION: Director Glenn moved for approval of the Agenda. Director Larington seconded, and the motion passed unanimously.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF THE NOVEMBER 16, 2017 MEETING
MOTION: Director Pyne moved for approval of the Minutes of the November 16, 2017 meeting. Director Larington seconded, and the motion passed unanimously.
PUBLIC INPUT – None
1. Consideration of Resolution APRD2017-22 to Adopt 2018 Budget
Ms. Dannemiller explained there were no significant changes to the 2018 Budget since the last time it was discussed with the Board. Minor revisions include: updating the numbers in the benefit package following additional information received; change in the final Certification of Valuation received from the Jefferson County Assessor’s office; and, $25,000 in additional funding in the Capital Fund to cover new signage.
The Board discussed the change in the assessed valuation.
Mr. Reasor thanked everyone who helped with the 2018 Budget.
MOTION: Director Glenn moved for approval of RESOLUTION APRD2017-22 to adopt the 2018 Budget, set mill levies, and appropriate sums of money. Director Pyne seconded, and the motion passed unanimously.
2. Consideration of Resolution APRD2017-23 to Amend the 2017 Budget
Ms. Dannemiller explained that minor amounts were needed in two funds: in the General Fund for final payment on the old Certificates of Participation; and in the Capital Fund to supplement the carryover amount used for projects.
MOTION: Director Pyne moved for approval of RESOLUTION APEXPRD2017-23 to amend the 2017 Budget. Director Glenn seconded, and the motion passed unanimously.
OLD/OTHER BUSINESS – None
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR REPORT
Items discussed by Ms. Dannemiller and contained in her report for December 2017 include:
• Staffing Items – New Staff Positions in 2018
– the Recreation Program Manager position is being filled by Whitney Walker; her
current position is in recruitment
– an offer has been extended for the new Recreation Services Director position and will be finalized following budget approval
– JoAnn Gould will move to full-time status upon budget approval
• Go Fourth Project Notes
– staff has processed over 1560 new accounts in the last three and a half days, and almost 3000 since October 26
– revenue is higher for that time period over 2016
– Activity Guides with new logo arrived in resident mailboxes this week
• Bond Project Notes
– Xcel is progressing at Secrest, but not as much at Fitzmorris and the Tennis Center
– Tentative opening date for the Tennis Center is January 12, depending on Xcel
– Apex Center:
o Splash pad is underway; tentative opening date is Memorial Day 2018
o Indoor pool play structure is in construction; tentative opening date is December 20
o Childwatch play structure is still in design to meet the budget and scope determined
– Masonry walls at Fitzmorris are being built, but there are issues with Xcel regarding installation of new gas line to serve the new school and new rec center
– Electrical service delays at Long Lake due to Xcel; synthetic turf fields are being graded
– Critical elements are on schedule at Lutz; landscaping had to be reduced due to cost
• Say Something Nice
– Kudos to Gabe Hale and Grant Gaddy from IT, Katie Groke Ellis from Marketing, and Lisa Nesladek and the entire Guest Services staff at all facilities for the highly successful transformation of four major elements of the District – MaxGalaxy, new logo and website, and new Activity Guide.
Ms. Gould outlined and discussed the selection process for the Recreation Services Director position.
BOARD MEMBER REPORTS/INPUT
Director Skul expressed the Board’s appreciation for a great job on the selection process for the Recreation Services Director position. Director Skul will be attending the Chamber’s upcoming Membership Luncheon – State of the Chamber. He will also be doing a presentation for Leadership Arvada.
Director Pyne attended two recent events at the CRC – the Therapeutic Rec holiday musical and the Santa Breakfast. Both were both great events and staff was awesome.
Director Larington was at this morning’s breakfast for the Foundation. Discussion at the breakfast included working on a sports-oriented fundraising event.
Director Glenn also attended the Therapeutic Rec holiday musical, noting it was a lot of fun. On Monday, Go Fourth Day, he visited the facilities. He observed that staff looked great.
Director Whitfield attended the recent breakfast meeting at the Legion. The League of Women Voters presented on voter turnout in general. He also attended a recent event at the State Capitol for elected officials, as well as the District’s recent Youth Sports Banquet and Santa Breakfast.
Director Whitfield thanked staff and the Board for a fantastic year.
MOTION: Director Glenn moved that the meeting be adjourned. Director Pyne seconded and the motion passed unanimously.
President Whitfield adjourned the meeting at 7:52 p.m.
Dawn Fredette, Recording Secretary
Kristen Larington, Secretary/Treasurer