Full-Time Payroll Accountant/Financial Analyst
Title of Position Payroll Accountant/Financial Analyst
Reports To Finance/HR Director Updated: 08/2018
Fair Labor Standards Act: ___X____ Exempt _______ Non-Exempt
Application Deadline: September 18, 2018
The Payroll Accountant/Financial Analyst is key member of the Apex Finance Team. This position has highly variable responsibilities and requires a jack-of-all-trades spirit. The successful candidate will be skilled in payroll processing, financial analysis and accounting, is comfortable navigating systems and generating standard and ad-hoc requests to meet customer needs and has some experience using automated payroll software platform systems.
The Payroll Accountant/Financial Analyst reports directly to the Finance/HR Director. This position has broad responsibilities in the areas of payroll, financial and budget analyses and accounting, such as journal entries, capital assets, general ledger reconciliations, month-end and year-end processing. The specific duties and responsibilities are outlined below.
- Coordinates bi-weekly payroll by conducting detailed analyses, communicating with employees/supervisors and preparing the payroll using a standard 3rd party payroll software system
- Sets up and reconciles retirement contributions
- Sets up all garnishments in the payroll system
- Reviews and processes all time cards.
- Analyzes and reconciles each payroll.
- Prepares all documentation and processes designated checks for each payroll.
- Prepares payroll journal entries.
- Provides payroll system training to employees
- Answers employee payroll related questions.
Budget and Reporting
- Serves as payroll system analyst. Prepares ad-hoc reports from payroll software
- Prepares reports – both standard and ad-hoc – as necessary for financial management purposes
- Assists with preparation of department and organization budgets across all funds and provide analyses that compare budget to actual revenues and expenditures; explain or make recommendations to address deviations.
- Develops financial reports, graphs, and analysis for Finance/HR Director and other staff
- Performs budgetary analysis associated with potential compensation and benefit changes. Coordinate with human resources to create necessary import tools into the payroll system
- Monitors accuracy of system data as it relates to payroll expenses, the general ledger, and staffing reports.
- Advise and assist in training system users and resolving system problems. Provide direction in proper coding and classification of expenditures and revenues.
- Assists with special and on-going projects, such as Capital Project monitoring
- Creates and completes journal entries to move funds between subsidiary systems into the accounting system and other required journal entries
- Provides account analysis as requested by Finance/HR Director
- Performs or serves as back-up for procurement card audit
- Organizes an annual district-wide inventory with Finance.
- Performs backup duties for other Finance staff as needed.
- As part of a team, provides or serves as back-up for routine accounting functions such as petty cash, deposits and vendor maintenance
- Position description does not include all responsibilities; the District reserves the right to modify duties to meet business needs
- Works periodically on special projects as assigned by the Finance Director and/or other staff
- Demonstrates strong, responsive and respectful customer service
- Displays tact and a team-oriented approach in communications and direction to staff
- Strong teamwork, ability to work well with others
- Demonstrates accountability and ownership of work responsibilities
- Embraces flexibility and innovative approach to find efficiencies
- Identifies solutions for customers while maintaining compliance with laws, policies, regulations and internal controls
- Commitment to meet Finance/HR Team and District goals
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Two plus years of Payroll processing experience
- Advance Excel skills including complicated formulas and pivot table
- College degree preferably in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration Preferred degree but will consider equivalent combination of education and experience
- Must possess a working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP basis accounting and budget based accounting).
- Solid organization, managerial, and communication skills.
- Excellent math skills.
- Excellent analytical aptitude.
- Outstanding aptitude for detail and accuracy.
Preferred but not required:
- Knowledge of public fund accounting.
- Experience with automated accounting systems.
- At least two years of accounting experience
Apply for this position at: http://apexprd.org/about/jobs-volunteers-internships/apply-for-a-job-with-apex/