Check. Change. Control. Education Series
In November of 2018, Apex PRD rolled out a partnership with the American Heart Association and Lutheran Medical Center to participate in the Check. Change. Control. program. Check. Change. Control. is an evidenced-based hypertension management program that utilizes self-monitoring to empower participants to take ownership of their cardiovascular health. The program incorporates self-monitoring at our designated #CheckIt Stations throughout the District and online tracking as key features to improve outcomes in hypertension management, physical activity, and weight reduction. The purpose of this program is to eliminate high blood pressure as a health disparity among Americans. This program is geared towards adults 18 and over and is open to anyone in the community.
Key features of the Check. Change. Control. program include:
- Goal setting and tracking of blood pressure by using online tracking
- Educational materials and access to free classes during a 4-month self-monitoring program
- Access to heart.org resources for participants with articles, videos and fact sheets explaining high blood pressure and obesity, as well as ideas on how to manage it
- District-wide Program Ambassadors – onsite team leads to recruit and encourage participants to track and manage blood pressure. The District currently has 25 volunteer ambassadors.
Those interested in the enrolling in the program can visit the Apex Center, Racquetball and Fitness Center, Community Recreation Center, Fitzmorris Recreation Center or Secrest Recreation Center to participate. For a full assessment visit the Secrest Recreation Center which currently hosts a BP Kiosk– the first public kiosk in Colorado as well as in the American Heart Association’s 7-state region.
As part of this program, Apex will host free, monthly education seminars to help participants stay on track with lowering their blood pressure. Our 4-month education series will be hosted on the 4th Thursday of the month starting Feb. 28 at 6 p.m. at the Apex Center Topics include:
- Feb. 28 – Sodium – What is it and How Does it Affect Your Health?
- March 28 – Stress – We all Experience it. Learn how to Control it!
- April 25 – Eating Healthy for your Heart
- May 23 – Yoga for Stress Reduction
To RSVP for an education class or for more information on the Check. Change. Control. program please contact HillaryR@ApexPRD.org.