January 21, 2021 Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

APEX PARK AND RECREATION DISTRICT
13150 West 72nd Avenue  Arvada, Colorado 80005  303.424.2739

BOARD OF DIRECTORS
January 21, 2021

CALL TO ORDER


President Pyne called to order the January 21, 2021 meeting of the Board of Directors of Apex Park and Recreation District, held at 6:33 p.m. in the Apex Center Randall Room, 13150 W. 72nd Ave. Arvada, CO 80005 and virtually online via Accession video/audio meeting. Board members in attendance in person were: Vicki Pyne, Ken Harrell, Stephanie Allen, and Liz Tomsula. Board member in attendance virtually was Rich Garrimone. District staff members present in person were: Rheana Rogers – Executive Administrator and Recording Secretary, Hillary Roemersberger – Director of Recreation Services, Brent Anderson – Director of Recreation Services, Gabe Hale – Director of Technology Services, and Mark Baird – Director of District Services. District staff members present virtually were Lauri Dannemiller – Executive Director, Jeff Leniger – Director of Finance, and Whitney Walker – Recreation Manager. Member of the public present was Abby McNeal, APAC.

APPROVAL OF AGENDA

MOTION: Director Allen moved for approval of the Agenda. Director Harrell seconded and the motion passed unanimously.


APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF THE JANUARY 7, 2021 BOARD MEETING

MOTION: Director Harrell moved for approval of the Minutes. Director Allen seconded and the motion passed unanimously.

PUBLIC INPUT


There was none.

NEW BUSINESS

1. Tournament Fees

Ms. Walker presented to the board a proposal asking to implement a new fee for teams that go over their contracted hours for reservations, helping the district recover the increased staffing costs for these delays. Ms. Walker is meeting with groups in February and if the board approves the fee implementation then groups will be informed at that time. Director Garrimone asked how many tournaments run over time. Ms. Walker estimates about 40% of tournaments run on time. The fee would incentivize teams to make sure they run on time. Ms. Walker affirmed that effective communications will be shared with teams to educate them for the reasoning behind the implementation of this fee, and that they understand that delays due to weather or injuries will not be subject to the fee. Director Harrell stated his support so long as the district communicates properly with groups to understand the rationale behind the fee and the role of the tournament supervisor to work with and help them stay on schedule. Ms. Dannemiller pointed out this also is a benefit to our staff members in these typically hard to recruit and retain positions in the fields department that we can help them stay on schedule. Director Garrimone asked who ultimately would make the call if fees are assessed. Ms. Walker responded that the Tournament Supervisor will communicate and make recommendations to her and she will be the one to make the call as to whether fees would be assessed.

MOTION: Director Harrell moved to adopt the new policy regarding extended-hours fees for tournaments. Director Allen seconded and the motion passed unanimously.

2. Racquetball and Fitness Center Update

Mr. Anderson reminded the board that budgetary restrictions due to COVID-19 resulted in the decision not to open RFC for the remainder of 2020 and 2021. Staff has been exploring alternative uses of the facility and ways to improve cost recovery since this facility operates at a loss to the district. A list of potential options was presented to the board including leasing or selling the property, modifying service dates/hours and fees to improve cost recovery, creatively programming the space in alternative ways, or close the facility and delay a final decision on the property for a time. Mr. Anderson shared he believes that a compromise can be made to allow for continuing to provide the racquetball service to the community while creatively programming space in alternate ways to improve cost recovery for the facility as a whole. This facility is the only one of size to host shuttles and tournaments in the northwest portion of the metro area. Director Harrell stated he prefered the scenario for RFC to remain closed until fall and spend time marketing and planning for re-opening the facility when conditions allow. The board was in agreement they prefer to look into options other than selling or leasing at this time. They are instructing staff to spend time planning to re-imagine some programmatic uses of the space for a potential re-opening in fall. The board would like to revisit this in July to make more definitive plans for potential re-opening.

3. Secrest Park Update

Ms. Roemersberger shared proposed plans for the accessible playground installation at Secrest Park after meeting with Directors Pyne and Tomsula, district staff and representatives from the playground equipment company. She is working to determine if the proposed plan revisions are compliant with grant requirements. The district Therapeutic Recreation staff person has made recommendations on sensory and accessibility features. Revised designs and budget based on this week’s meeting will be available and shared with the board tomorrow. Construction is slated to be complete by the beginning of June. A groundbreaking ceremony is being planned for February.

4. 5-Star Certification for Field House

Ms. Dannemiller reported that the district will be submitting an application for 5-star certification for the FH to allow for resuming programming of indoor soccer. She reported that there is not a benefit currently for pursuing the certification for other facilities.

MOTION: Director Harrell moved to approve the submission of the 5-Star application for the Field House. Director Tomsula seconded and the motion passed unanimously.

OLD/OTHER BUSINESS


There was none.

EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR REPORT

Ms. Dannemiller shared a draft of the proposed IGA for Meyers Pool was provided to the Board. Three reps met last week and plans are moving forward. Next meeting the board will have discussion about this draft. Feb 9 meeting of all three elected boards will meet. Our attorney has reviewed and provided her comments.

BOARD MEMBER REPORTS/INPUT

President Pyne reported she has continued working with swim teams on scheduling complexities at Meyers Pool and is looking forward to the Secrest Park playground meeting coming up.

Director Harrell had nothing to report.

Director Tomsula will be attending the Secrest Park playground meeting this week as well as the chamber event. She also attended last week’s chamber event.

Director Allen had nothing to report.

Director Garrimone reported that he recently met with Apex Director of Marketing and Communications, Katie Groke, to discuss efforts to recruit new members to serve on the Foundation. There will be an election of officers at their next meeting. He is grateful for her help.

ADJOURNMENT

MOTION: Director Harrell moved that the meeting be adjourned. Director Allen seconded and the motion passed unanimously.

President Pyne adjourned the meeting at 8:22 p.m.



Respectfully submitted, Rheana Rogers, Recording Secretary

ATTEST: Liz Tomsula, Secretary/Treasurer