November 4, 2021 Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

APEX PARK AND RECREATION DISTRICT
13150 West 72nd Avenue * Arvada, Colorado 80005 * 303.424.2739

BOARD OF DIRECTORS
November 4, 2021

CALL TO ORDER

President Pyne called to order the November 4, 2021, meeting of the Board of Directors of Apex Park and Recreation District, held at 6:30 p.m. in the Apex Center Randall Room, 13150 W. 72nd Ave., Arvada, CO. Board members in attendance in person were Vicki Pyne, Ken Harrell, Liz Tomsula, Stephanie Allen, and Rich Garrimone. District staff members present were Katie Groke – Director of Marketing and Communications, Rheana Rogers – Executive Administrator and Recording Secretary, Jesse Badder – Director of Recreation Services, Mark Baird – Director of District Services and Capital Improvements, Alan Abrams – Director of Golf, and Jeff Leniger – Director of Finance. Executive Director Lauri Dannemiller and Nancy York from Jefferson County Open Space were present via Accession video call. There was one member of the public present.


APPROVAL OF AGENDA

MOTION: Director Allen moved for approval of the agenda. Director Tomsula seconded, and the motion passed unanimously.


APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF THE OCTOBER 21, 2021, BOARD MEETING

MOTION: Director Tomsula moved for approval of the Minutes. Director Allen seconded, and the motion passed unanimously.


PUBLIC INPUT

There was none.


NEW BUSINESS

1. Jeffco Open Space Peaks to Plains (PTP) Grant – Lauri Dannemiller
Ms. Dannemiller introduced Nancy York from Jeffco Open Space. Ms. York shared the history and vision of the project that is a 65-mile trail of regional and statewide significance. The P2P will connect four counties and seven cities, with an elevation change of over one mile from the Continental Divide at Loveland Pass to the South Platte Greenway in Adams County. For the purpose of local planning and collaboration the P2P Trail is split in to three sections – Plains, Canyon and Mountains. The Plains Collaborative focus is on the section between Golden and the South Platte Trail. Approximately 1.5 miles of the plains segment is located on Apex-owned property. Twice in the past, Apex’s Board of Directors has committed funding to the project for a total of approximately $30k to date. Jeffco open space is now asking for a donation of an additional $10k towards the total expected $250k cost of the next phase of the project between now and 2023. These requests are being made of funding partners as part of the grant request that will be presented to GOCO for funding.

MOTION: Director Tomsula moved to approve the donation of $10,000 in FY2023 towards the project. Director Allen seconded, and the motion passed unanimously.


2. Golf Master Plan Proposal and Next Steps – Lauri Dannemiller

Ms. Dannemiller reported that JNS will provide the BOD high level estimates of critical programmatic elements and their associated costs to have a grasp of decision points. JNS will provide the steering committee program elements defined by square footage as well as alternatives costs and options for all major elements within the next week. The 3-4 members of the steering committee will then meet with financing experts to explore financing options once the costs of the alternatives are known. This will yield potential options for phased and/or one-time build financing alternatives based upon building needs and financing capacity. These financing alternatives will then be presented to the board, in a meeting with finance team, to give the board potential financing tools and what they will cost and what programmatic elements fit within that scheme. The board will then decide upon which alternatives to explore and JNS can go to the next phase of the process, which is the 50% schematic design phase. This process will include at least one meeting with the board to give guidance on major architectural themes, but ultimate design will be guided by the steering committee who has expertise in this area. Ms. Dannemiller stressed the importance of empowering planning committee members Directors Harrell and Garrimone to make appropriate decisions outside of those with financial impact on behalf of the board to not delay progress on the project. The Board agreed and empowered Directors Harrell and Garrimone to speak on their behalf.

3. Military Fees – Katie Groke

Ms. Groke presented to the board the discovery of an inconsistency of application of military discounts district wide. Military discounts have been applied sporadically at various facilities across the district, which has never been a board-approved fee. Ms. Groke is requesting addition of a military discount daily admission fee to the approved fee list for the 2022 budget. This would apply to active duty as well as veterans. Military with appropriate ID will be given daily admission fee of $4.25 and a 15% discount on all annual paid-in full memberships. Once a year for Veterans Day there will be a punch card sale offering 25% off punch card purchases on that day.

MOTION: Director Harrell moved to approve the proposed Military Fees. Director Allen seconded, and the motion passed unanimously.


4. 2022 Budget Work Session – Jeff Leniger
Mr. Leniger provided a few updates that have been made to the 2022 Budget draft since the last meeting. An executive summary outlined these changes, highlighting the changes since the final determination of the Fields IGA as well as some FTE adjustments, resulting in a positive net change of around $500,000.


OLD/OTHER BUSINESS

There was none.


EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR REPORT

Ms. Dannemiller updated the board on the Cost Recovery Strategic Plan process and that PROS Consulting is being contracted to do this project with the district. She provided a list of upcoming Veterans Day events. She reported that the Meyers Pool IGA is reportedly being signed by the Jeffco School Board at their meeting tonight and that the City of Arvada and Jeffco Public Schools are working on private financing for that project. The RFP for design will be managed by the city. Community outreach around the project will begin soon. She also reported that the first fields transition meeting with the city team took place last week. The district’s key point of discussion is the need for Apex to be assured field scheduling priority for our programming needs. Ms. Groke is working with the city on the verbiage for the messaging around the change. Ms. Groke also reminded the Board that November 13 is the district’s 65th birthday. Social media and Rundown content are being produced. At the Jeffco EDC event last night the Arvada Resiliency Taskforce, of which Apex is a member, was recognized.


BOARD MEMBER REPORTS/INPUT

President Pyne reported that she has been working with legal counsel regarding a complaint made at the Field House around soccer game play safety concerns. Standard safety protocols and reviews will be followed as they are for any other safety complaints. The coordinating committee met today and discussed the City and Apex’s partnership, IGA relationships, and messaging going forward.

Director Harrell had nothing to report.

Director Allen asked about the timeline surrounding the postcards and online guide cycle for 2022. Ms. Groke responded the first postcard will mail January 1 for the first digital e-guide.

Director Tomsula had nothing to report.

Director Garrimone asked if there was a timeline for the archery range construction. Mr. Baird responded that it is anticipated that design should be complete, and construction begun in 2022. Director Garrimone also reported the Foundation’s Trick or Trot 5k was tremendously successful for a first-year event and they are excited about moving forward with it as a yearly event. Also, staff presented to the Foundation this morning their proposal requests for funding. The Foundation will decide in the coming weeks which projects they will choose to fund. The requests from the Fitness division will be funded from monies received from a private donor restricted to fitness purposes at the Apex Center.


ADJOURNMENT

MOTION: Director Harrell moved that the meeting be adjourned. Director Garrimone seconded, and the motion passed unanimously.

President Pyne adjourned the meeting at 7:47 p.m.


Respectfully submitted,

Rheana Rogers, Recording Secretary

ATTEST:

Liz Tomsula, Secretary/Treasurer