May 20, 2010 Board of Director Meeting Minutes

Board of Directors | Comments Off on May 20, 2010 Board of Director Meeting Minutes
Board of Directors

MAY 20, 2010

President Jim Whitfield called the May 20, 2010 meeting of the Board of Directors of Apex Park and Recreation District to order at 6:30 p.m. at the Apex Center, 13150 W. 72nd Avenue, Arvada, Colorado. Apex board members in attendance were: Jim Whitfield, Lee Humrich, Jeff Glenn and Bob Loveridge. Ken Harrell was absent. Apex participating staff members were Mike Miles, Executive Director, and Luann Levine, Recording Secretary.


MOTION: Director Glenn moved for the absence of Director Harrell to be excused due to advance notice to the board. Director Loveridge seconded. Motion passed unanimously.

Mike Miles, Executive Director, asked the board to cancel agenda #4 as the committee assignments have already been resolved and add Agenda item #6 to discuss the Lacrosse Jamboree Tournament.

MOTION: Director Loveridge moved to cancel agenda item #4 and for the addition of Agenda Item #6 to discuss the Lacrosse Jamboree Tournament and to approve the remainder of the agenda as posted. Director Glenn seconded. Motion passed unanimously.

MOTION: Director Glenn moved for approval of the Minutes of May 6, 2010, as presented. Director Loveridge seconded. Motion passed unanimously.

PUBLIC INPUT – There was no public input


1. Arvada Rifle and Pistol Club Issue
Mr. Miles stated that an RTD representative contacted the District about the Gold Line Project and their interest in obtaining the property where the Arvada Rifle and Pistol Club is located. The District purchased the property in 1955 from the Arvada Chamber of Commerce and the gun club’s 99 year lease came with the property. The gun club has taken care of the building during their use and there is limited interaction between the District and the club. The RTD representative stated that they would be willing to pay up to $10,000 to relocate the leasee and RTD would look at 2 independent appraisals and negotiate a price with the deed holder. Mr. Miles stated that the District would like to assist to keep the gun club a viable organization. RTD does hold condemnation powers and we can refuse condemnation but legal counsel said it would probably not stand due to the betterment of the community.
Mr. Bret Barnes, President of the Arvada Rifle and Pistol Club addressed the board and stated that the gun club owns the building and leases the ground. They also maintain the building and do all the repair and improvements. He addressed the improvements that have been done and the interior of the building and how it is used. Mr. Barnes explained their programs, size of their membership, accomplishments and associations with schools and organizations.
Wayne Harris, Arvada Rifle and Pistol Club board director, then addressed the board and stated the they have been involved in talks with RTD and AURA since the 1980’s. Mr. Harris stated that they are looking for what resources are available to build a new facility. He added that they don’t want to purchase land but will need a new facility. Board discussion ensued concerning the timeline, options and possible replacement costs.
Paul Figlia, Arvada Rifle and Pistol Club board director, also addressed the board and stated that there is very limited portability in relation to the structure. A requirement of the lease states that the building will always remain on the land, it is not transportable. Mr. Figlia emphasized the fact that their membership is a very good membership. He added that they are comfortable that Apex will get as much value to make sure the gun club is made as whole as possible but they do understand that there is a lot going on. Mr. Figlia stated that they are looking forward to working with the District and will consult legal counsel so everyone is all on the same page. The board thanked the Arvada Rifle and Pistol Club members for their input.

2. Turf Field Project Issues Report
Mr. Miles stated that we are still on schedule to start construction on the turf arenas in November or December. The District will utilize a Construction Manager General Contractor and appoint Barker Rinker Seacat as the architects. Then the District will bid for the contractors. Several different sites in the Stenger/Lutz area have been considered. The current option is on the East side of Oak halfway between 58th and 56th but will require the relocation of one of the baseball fields. A plus to this location is access to City water and sewer. Board discussion ensued concerning building materials and fire issues from the 4th of July fireworks. A neighboring homeowner in the audience stated that they would not be opposed to a metal building if it had an attractive facade. Board discussion continued concerning the location of the building. Mr. Miles stated that City staff and their engineers are looking at this new concept and location for any issues. If there are no issues this will go to City Council for their recommendation and then back to our board to approve the final site. Mr. Miles stated that financing will be another issue because of the ballot initiatives. Given the unknown that could happen in November the District may not have the funds to complete the project so the board will need to decide if the project will need to be done in phases in lieu of financing. Or do we commit to a long term financing with the unknown of the initiatives down the road.

3. November Ballot Initiative Presentation
Mr. David Bell with Stifel, Nicklaus & Company presented a PowerPoint presentation from the attorney’s office of Sherman and Howard. Mr. Bell stated that this presentation is a simplified legal explanation of Proposition 101 and Amendments 60 and 61 that will be presented to the voters in November. Proposition 101 directly impacts the State of Colorado by reducing motor vehicle taxes, reducing the State income tax and reducing fees on telecommunication services. Amendment 60 would limit property taxes and Amendment 61 would limit State and local government debt. Mr. Bell explained the financial implications these initiatives would have on local governments. Board discussion ensued concerning impacts to the District.
Mr. Gary Higbee, Chief Finance Officer then presented a PowerPoint presentation detailing the direct impacts of the ballot initiatives to the District. Board discussion continued concerning the campaign permitted activities of board members and District staff.

4. Committee Assignments
This agenda item was canceled.

5. Board Work Project Discussion
Mr. Miles stated that there will be several items coming up at the next board meeting that he wanted to make the board aware of. On the June 3rd agenda will be the proposed admission and rental fees for 2011 from the staff. The District will invite the various organizations that will be impacted to attend the board meeting to give their input. Another item that will be discussed is the preparation of an Athletic Field Use Policy. The District has been approached by new sports organizations requesting field time. This has occurred the last three years.

6. Lacrosse Jamboree Tournament
Mr. Miles stated that a lacrosse tournament has been held at Stenger annually for the past several years. This year, based on information from the Jamboree Outreach Committee, the number of fields has been reduced from 19 fields in 2009 to 12 for 2010. This will reduce the impact on the complex and the surrounding neighborhoods. Also, arrangements have been made with the Arvada Police Department to have 3 off-duty officers on hand throughout the tournament for security reasons and to handle traffic issues. The tournament will remain a three day tournament but the implementation of these changes should resolve any issues that transpired in past tournaments.


a) As part of a branding program, the District will be launching a customer survey on-line to help determine how people feel about our services, what is good, what is not, how the District is perceived to the public, etc. District staff will also be surveyed about what they are hearing from customers. The objective of this branding process is to raise community participation in our programs and improve awareness of our diverse programs.
b) Staff met with the District’s insurance broker about new health legislation. The impacts to the District will start in 2013 and 2014.


Director Humrich reported that he is gathering information on the ballot initiatives and would like to work with other organizations to get the information out to the public. Hopefully by July there will be a plan put together.

President Whitfield stated that the next Ralston Corridor meeting is May 27. The next Apex Foundation meeting is June 3 and all board members are invited.

MOTION: Director Glenn moved that the meeting be adjourned. Director Loveridge seconded. Motion passed unanimously.

President Whitfield adjourned the meeting at 8:18 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Luann Levine, Recording Secretary

Ken Harrell, Secretary/Treasurer

Contact Apex Park and Recreation District in Arvada, CO

Apex Park and Recreation District (Apex PRD) in Arvada, CO, has a wide range of public parks and recreation facilities that offer such activities as pickleball, tennis, golf, swimming, and much more. Founded in 1956, Apex PRD supports adult fitness and kids health for those in Arvada, Denver, Wheat Ridge, Golden, and beyond. Have questions or comments for Apex Park and Recreation District? Use our Contact Us page.